Keto Slow Cooker Chicken Saag
8 week custom keto diet plan
I love slow cooker meals because I can just put everything in the slow cooker in the morning and have a delicious, slow-cooked meal ready for me at the end of the day.
And this Keto Slow Cooker Chicken Saag is one of my favorite meals because it is absolutely delicious and uses ingredients that I usually have in my pantry.
Recipe Substitutions and Modifications
This Keto Slow Cooker Chicken Saag recipe is absolutely delicious as is.
However, you might not have all of the ingredients on hand or easily available to you. And that’s okay!
There are several substitutions and modifications you can make, and the recipe will still turn out absolutely delicious.
- Sauteing the onion and spices before adding them to the slow cooker is optional, but it does add a nice depth of flavor to the finished recipe.
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts can be used instead of chicken thighs. If using bone-in chicken thighs or breasts, remove and discard the bone after shredding it into bite-size pieces.
- And if you don’t feel like shredding the chicken after it is cooked, cut the chicken into bite-size pieces before adding it to the slow cooker. Then, once the cook time is over, just add the spinach to the slow cooker and let it simmer until the spinach is wilted and the sauce is reduced to your liking.
- You can use a mix of chicken breasts and chicken thighs as well. And don’t be afraid to use even more than 1 lb (450 g) of chicken if you want leftovers for a few days.
- Frozen chicken cannot be used in a slow cooker. Be sure to thaw your chicken before adding it to the slow cooker.
- Frozen spinach can be used instead of fresh spinach. Be sure to thaw the spinach and squeeze out the excess liquids before adding it to the slow cooker.
- You can use an 8 oz (240 ml) can of tomato sauce to equal 1 cup.
- You can use 1 teaspoon of granulated garlic or 3/4 teaspoon of garlic powder instead of garlic cloves and 1 teaspoon of ginger powder instead of fresh ginger.
- Vegetable broth can be used instead of chicken broth.
Other Keto Indian-Inspired Recipes
And if this Keto Slow Cooker Chicken Saag recipe has you hungry for more Keto Indian-inspired recipes, then we have you covered.
Here are just a few recipes that you can try today:
- This Keto Curry Chicken Recipe will give you all of the flavor of Indian takeout but at a fraction of the cost.
- And if you want a deliciously creamy curry but without all of the dairy, then you should try my Keto Cauliflower Chicken Curry recipe.
- But if you want a curry recipe that is a bit untraditional, then you should try my Keto Cauliflower Beef Curry recipe.
- And if you want an easy recipe that uses ingredients that you might already have without going to the store, then you should try my 4-Ingredient Keto Chicken Curry Recipe.
- If meatless Mondays are your thing, you can enjoy this completely plant-based Keto Eggplant Coconut Curry Recipe.
- However, if you are trying to add more fish to your diet, then my Keto Salmon Curry Recipe is perfect for you to try.
- And if you think that no Indian meal is complete without a side of naan bread, then my Keto Flatbread Recipe with Nutritional Yeast is an absolute must for you.
And if you want even more Keto Indian-inspired recipes, here are 23 Aromatic Low Carb Keto Indian Recipes To Tempt Your Tastebuds.
- Olive oil, for cooking (optional)
- 1 medium onion (4 oz or 110 g), thinly sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 Tablespoon (5 g) fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 Tablespoon (7 g) garam masala
- 1 Tablespoon (6 g) turmeric
- 1 teaspoon (2 g) cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon (2 g) chili powder (or to taste)
- 1 cup (240 ml) tomato sauce
- 1 (13.5 oz or 398 ml) can of unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup (240 ml) chicken broth
- 1 lb (450 g) boneless skinless chicken thighs (defrosted, if frozen)
- 3 cups (90 g) fresh spinach
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 Tablespoons (2 g) chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- If desired, add a drizzle of olive oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, and fresh ginger to the slow cooker or skillet and saute for 3 minutes. Add the garam masala, turmeric, cumin, and optional chili powder to the skillet and saute for an additional 2 minutes. Add the mixture to the slow cooker.
- Add the tomato sauce, coconut milk, and chicken broth to the slow cooker and stir well to combine. Place the chicken thighs in the slow cooker and cover with the sauce.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
- Once cooked, remove the chicken thighs from the slow cooker and shred with two forks into bite-size pieces. Return the shredded chicken to the slow cooker. Add the fresh spinach and continue to cook for an additional 20 minutes until the spinach is wilted.
- If needed, remove the lid and set the slow cooker to high and allow the sauce to boil until reduced to your liking. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve the saag by itself or over Keto Cauliflower White “Rice” and garnish with chopped fresh cilantro, if desired.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
Net Carbs per serving: 7 g
- Serving Size: ¼ recipe
- Calories: 314
- Sugar: 4 g
- Fat: 21 g
- Carbohydrates: 10 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 22 g
8 week custom keto diet plan