Keto Sunshine Breakfast Casserole Recipe
8 week custom keto diet plan
I absolutely love eggs, and I can easily eat them every single day. However, for years, I avoided eating whole eggs and just ate egg whites since that was supposed to be healthier.
Wrong! Thankfully, now we know that egg yolks are even more nutritious than egg whites. So, it is absolutely okay to enjoy whole eggs and not just egg whites.
Eat the Whole Egg
- Eggs have zero carbs, which is why it’s a good choice for those following a keto lifestyle.
- Each egg contains 6 grams of high-quality protein that helps to keep you full throughout the day.
- Egg yolks are a great source for choline, which is an essential nutrient that impacts brain development, muscle movement, liver function and more.
- Eggs are high in the antioxidants lutein and zeaxanthin, which help reduce the risks for cataracts and macular degeneration.
To find out if an egg is too old to eat, place it in a cup of room temperature water. If the egg floats, it is likely old and should be thrown away. However, if the egg stays at the bottom of the cup, it is likely fresh and safe to eat.
Of course, if you are in doubt, you should play it safe and discard the egg.
How To Modify the Recipe
My Sunshine Breakfast Casserole is easy to modify depending upon the proteins and keto-friendly vegetables that you have in your refrigerator and pantry.
You can use breakfast sausage or any ground meat instead of Italian sausage. Just be sure to add about 1 Tablespoon (6 g) of Italian seasonings if you use ground meat instead of Italian sausage in the recipe.
Frozen broccoli is great to use instead of fresh broccoli. Simply heat the broccoli according to the package instructions and drain well since frozen broccoli holds a lot of moisture.
Cauliflower is a terrific substitute for broccoli. Frozen cauliflower works well, too! Just like frozen broccoli, heat the frozen cauliflower according to the package instructions and drain well.
Any color bell pepper can be used in place of red bell pepper. However, green bell peppers have a stronger flavor than red bell peppers.
Don’t like bell peppers? You can use chopped asparagus or green beans instead.
You can even make the recipe into egg muffins instead of a casserole. Just use a well-greased 12-cup muffin pan and bake at 350 F (180 C) for 25 to 30 minutes or until the eggs are cooked through.
Of course, you can always bake the breakfast casserole and cut into individual portions before freezing. Be sure to tightly wrap each piece in plastic wrap or aluminum foil before placing it in the freezer.
To reheat the breakfast casserole, remove the plastic wrap or aluminum foil from the casserole. Place on a microwave-safe place and loosely cover with a paper towel. Microwave in 30-second increments until the casserole is heated to your liking.
Even More Breakfast Casserole Recipes To Enjoy
Can’t get enough of breakfast casseroles? Here are even more delicious keto breakfast casseroles for you to enjoy.
- Keto Chicken and Bacon Casserole with Thyme
- Keto Breakfast Casserole Recipe
- Keto Sausage Egg Bake Recipe
- Keto Spinach and Smoked Salmon Quiche Recipe
- Keto Spanish Frittata Recipe
- Creamy Dairy-Free Keto Spinach Frittata
This sunny breakfast casserole is loaded with nutritious ingredients and is an easy dish to serve up on the weekends.
8 oz (225g) of Italian sausage
1/2 head of broccoli (8 oz or 225 g), chopped into small florets
1/2 medium red bell pepper (2 oz or 60 g), diced
8 medium eggs, whisked
1 Tablespoon of turmeric (6 g)
1/3 cup (80 ml) of filtered water
Olive oil, for cooking
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C). Grease a casserole dish with olive oil and set aside.
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the Italian sausage to the pan and cook for 5 minutes, using a wood spoon to break into smaller pieces.
- Add the broccoli and bell pepper to the pan and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the eggs, water, and turmeric.
- Spread the sausage mixture evenly in a casserole dish. Pour over the egg mixture over the vegetables, using a spoon to gently combine the mixture.
- Place the casserole dish in the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes until golden and the eggs are cooked through.
- Remove the dish from the oven and serve immediately.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
Net Carbs per servings: 3 g
- Serving Size: ¼ recipe
- Calories: 333
- Sugar: 2 g
- Fat: 23 g
- Carbohydrates: 5 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 20 g
8 week custom keto diet plan